The ERNEST project addresses the issue of sustainable development of the tourism sector through coordination and collaboration among regional research programmes on sustainable tourism through the development of a framework. Within this platform regions will share and build on research work already underway at regional level and make it more productive and efficient through exchange and through the planning and implementation of joint activities.
The main project objectives are as follows:
- to exchange information and knowledge on regional structures and research programmes;
- to identify within the research programmes those elements related to social dialogue and measurement of tourism impact;
- to define and implement joint research activities on sustainable tourism according to common needs, particularly concentrating on training, information exchange and evaluation at an interregional level;
- to fund joint interregional research on sustainable tourism through joint calls for funding;
- to promote efficient regional and interregional cooperation, including public-private partnership;
- to define common long-term staregies in line with EU policy on the sustainable development of tourism